Got some leftover rice from the Indian food takeaway yesterday? With just a few more ingredients, and a bit of time, you could make this spicy (if you add a lot of kimchi) dish with a nice blend of crunchy rice and juicy vegetables.
Yields 2 portions
- ½ zucchini
- leftover rice
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 eggs
- olive oil
- scallionsfor serving
- Kimchi could be non-vegan: if not labeled as vegan, it may contain fish sauce.
- Prepare the vegetables. Zucchini: halve, and cut into 1/2 half-moons. Kimchi: roughly chop.
- On a large frying pan, warming on medium-high heat with olive oil, distribute the rice and fry until the bottom side is brown and crispy.
- On a second, smaller, frying pan with olive oil, sauté the zucchini.
- While everything is cooking, thinly slice the scallions.
- Once the rice is brown and crispy, turn it and fry until the other side is brown and crispy.
- Add kimchi to the zucchini and cook for a few minutes to warm up the kimchi.
1 tablespoon of butterto the vegetables, and stir until the butter has melted, remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the zucchini and kimchi to the rice, add a bit of kimchi juice, add
2 eggs, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, constantly stirring, until the eggs are firm.
- Add more salt if needed, and serve topped with scallions.
Notes & tips
This recipe is inspired by Roi Choi’s show The Chef Show, and his course on MasterClass.