Frijoles are probably a staple of Mexican society (the same way the baguette is a staple of French society and the toilet
Keywords: refried beans
Yields 300 g
- 200 g of beans
- 1 serrano chile
- olive oil
You will need
- potato masher
- Soak the beans overnight.
- Cook the beans in lightly salted water on medium heat until tender.
- Cool down the beans in their cooking liquid.
- Cook the chili on a skillet with a bit of olive oil on medium heat, until blistered on all sides.
- Add the beans to the skillet with a bit of their cooking liquid (keep about 1 cup separately), cover, and bring to a boil.
- Smash the beans and the chili using a masher until there are very few whole beans left.
- Reduce or add more liquid to achieve the desired consistency.
Notes & tips