Yields 1 loaf of bread
- 330 g of all purpose flour
- 12 g of baking powder
- ½ g of salt
- 175 g of butter room temperature
- 2 grapefruits zest and juice
- 150 g of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 75 ml of milk
You will need
- 21×10 cm baking form
Before you start: warm butter to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Grease the baking form.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a big mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar using a mixer.
- Zest grapefruits into the butter-sugar mix.
- Mix in eggs into the butter-sugar mix one by one using a mixer.
- Add dry ingredients, grapefruit juice (keep about 1/2 grapefruit for the next steps), and milk little by little into the wet ingredients mixture, and carefully mix using a silicone spatula.
- Pour the batter into the baking form.
- Bake for
- Once the bread is ready, pour the rest of the grapefruit juice over the bread.
- Let the bread cool down for 10 minutes and remove it from the baking form.
Notes & tips
The more zest you add, the more flavor the bread will have. And don’t forget to use only the most outer colorful part of the citrus skin.
This recipe works well with limes too: use 4–5 limes instead of grapefruits.
Use a wooden toothpick to check the cake for readiness: insert it into the cake in several places, if the toothpick is dry, the cake is ready. If the top of the cake is getting to brown, cover it with tinfoil.
This recipe is based on a recipe from Harper’s Bazaar.