Red pickled onions are a classic garnishing for Mexican moles, cochinita, and pastor tacos, but do not hesitate to try them in any dish you like. They make a great combination for seafood specialties too!
Yields 100 g
- 1 red onion
- 1 chili
- 1 limejuice
- kosher salt
- Halve the onion and cut it into 1/4 cm slices.
- Quarter the chili lengthwise and cut it into very thin slices.
- Put the onions and the chili into a bowl.
- Juice the lime, and add
vinegarinto the bowl, and mix again.
- Add salt, thoroughly mix, and add more salt if needed.
- Leave in a closed container on the counter for at least 30
minutes —the more the better.
Notes & tips
Try using different types of chilies when preparing the onions, the original Mexican recipe calls for habaneros, but they can be too spicy for some people and also sometimes too expensive.
If you can prepare the onions 4 to 5 hours ahead of serving them it will enhance their flavors.
If you use white or yellow onions, try adding extra lime juice to reach the right level of acidity.