This recipe was inspired by shepherd’s pie and bibimbap. The filling is quite similar to our faux bibimbap recipe, and covered with a thick layer of creamy mashed potatoes with a golden crust.
Keywords: shepherd’s pie, cottage pie
Yields 6 portions
For the mashed potatoes
- 1 kg of floury potatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of milk
- smoked paprika powder
- freshly ground black pepper
For the filling
- 1 red onion
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 chiles
- 2 carrots
- 1 zucchini
- 1 handful of green beans
- 1 handful of sugar peas
- 2 teaspoons of kimchi paste
- 200 g of ground beef
- 200 g of ground pork
- soy sauce
- Soy sauce is likely not gluten-free and contains wheat.
You will need
- large oven-safe skillet or dutch oven
To cook the mashed potatoes
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into large chunks of similar size, and cook in water with
2 bay leavesand salt, until tender.
- Keep about 1 cup of potato cooking liquid, and discard the remaining cooking liquid.
- Mash the potatoes using a potato ricer or masher, add
1 egg, a few tablespoons of butter, a splash of milk, and salt. Keep adding more cooking liquid and milk and stirring until the potatoes are creamy.
- Add more salt if needed.
To cook the filling
- Turn on the oven to 220 ˚C (so it’s hot enough by the time we’re ready to bake the pie).
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the vegetables. Onion: peel, halve and cut into thin slices. Garlic: peel and cut into 1/2 cm pieces. Chiles: halve, remove the seeds, and thinly slice. Carrots: peel (if needed), halve, and cut into 1/2 cm slices. Zucchini: halve, and cut into 1/4 cm half-moons. Green beans: cut the ends, and cut into
3–4cm pieces. Sugar pees: halve.
2 teaspoons of kimchi pastein 1/4 cup of water.
- On a medium-sized skillet sat on medium heat with olive oil, sauté onions, garlic, and chili, until the onion is transparent, for a few minutes.
- On a second, larger oven-safe skillet sat on medium-high heat with a bit of olive oil, start frying carrots, until they start to soften, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground meat to the small skillet, stir, and keep cooking until there are no pink spots in the meat.
- Add the zucchini, and green beans to the large skillet, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar peas to the large skillet, and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the diluted kimchi paste and a splash of soy sauce to the meat, reduce the heat to low, and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from heat.
- Add the meat to the large skillet, thoroughly mix everything, and add more salt if needed.
To cook the pie
- Put the mashed potatoes on top of the filling in the large skillet in an even layer.
- Bake the pie uncovered in the oven until golden, for about 40 minutes.
Notes & tips